I stopped taking my HIV Meds

A series of misfortunes made me depressed and I also changed doctors. After my last doctors meeting my CD4 was confirmed at 600 and my vl is undetectable and has been for two years.

I became depressed and stopped taking my meds (Norvir, Truvada and Prezista) about 8 days ago. I had missed doses regularly (once or twice a week) for three or four months prior following a near death experience in a gall bladder surgery.

What to do? I want to be on my HIV meds but don't know whether to restart them without informing my clinician whom I don't trust and have a mental block about talking to. My new HIV primary care person is a Nurse Practitioner and not an MD or HIV specialist as I changed clinics and that is who I was allocated.

Shall I just start my meds again and hope for the best when I have my next blood tests in May?

(Diagnosed ten years ago Cd4 90 vl .5 million + and have gradulally worked up to CD4 600 vl ud)

CaliforniaWorrying

That regimen usually is fairly hardy to developing resistance so generally recommend restarting meds without further delay and simply informing your clinic of the situation. These things happen and most often work out OK. Focusing on improving your emotional/mental status should be a priority. For many patients knowing their HIV infection is under good control is a stress reliever so that health efforts can be directed to other priorities. KH

Fat loses or Thinning
Nexium and liver side effect re-reply