Muscle Soreness on Atripla

Hello Dr. Henry. I have been HIV+ for at least 5 years now, and I just recently started taking medications. I started Atripla a few weeks ago and from the first pill I did not really experience any major side effects (dizziness, drowsiness, strange dreams, etc.) except for some mild gas. However, I've noticed since taking Atripla that everytime I work out at the gym my muscles feel instantly sore as I'm working out instead of feeling sore at the end of my workout or the following day. And I'm also getting painful muscle cramps and minor joint pain, which I never got working out before medication. My doctor thinks this isn't related to Atripla, but I feel it does has something to do with the medication. Can you provide me with any additional information? Should I be concerned?

I have had a handful of patients report the same thing-muscle soreness on Atripla with exercise. Maybe a subset of patients are more sensitive to the mitochondrial effects of the tenfovir/FTC in that drug--just conjecture---very hard to sort out. Have you had your lactic acid levels and muscle enyzmes checked to see if anything odd is going on?? KH

Isentress & Flatulence
fear of Brain tumor