Missing HIV Meds For 2 Weeks

Hello Dr. Henry. About two months ago, there was a hiccup in my insurance plan that covers my HIV+ boyfriend. I added in his SS# to the system, and for whatever reason, he was kicked off my plan all-together. I went back and forth with my insurance provider and MEDCO for about two weeks trying to see what happened, and how he could get back on it, but they were both pointing the finger at eachother. I finally got the issue resolved and he started meds again. My question is, I know missing doses allows the virus to build up a resistance to the drugs in him, but I'm just wondering how bad could it be? Is there any hope that he could end up still being okay?

Most of the time a single 2 week lapse in meds will be OK though more of a problem with certain regimen such as Sustiva based treatment that have a lower threshold for resistance. Your boyfriend should inform his HIV doc about the situation so more careful monitoring and possibly resistance testing can be done if viral levels are not suppressed.KH

GGL
Isentress & Flatulence