Myelopathy

My partner was dignosed with AIDS Nov 9, 2009 after developing streccosus pnuemonia. During that time in the hosptial he became very weak in his legs and he couldnt walk on his own. He was released from the hospital after a months time. He is now at home and he started his HIV regimen of Truvada, Prezista, and Norvir toward the end of January. His cd4 count was 9 and his viral load was 24,000. He is still weak in his knees and cant walk on his own. The doctor said that it was neurapthy. But for about a month now he has been urinating frequently and he cant control his bowel movements. I did some research online and I think he has HIV Myelopathy. There is no established treatment that I found but if you google (NYBC Nutraceuticals for Myelopathy) there is a treatment of some B 12 supplements and amino acids that is said to have worked well for others with this diagnosis. My question is do you think I should try this with him? ANd I am having trouble reading the daily breakdown of supplements recommened can you help me with this?

HIV or associated infections (such as CMV)can cause spinal cord problems (myelopathy) as well as peripheral nerve problems that could impact leg/bladder function. As you note often very frustrating situation. In some cases peripheral neuropathy can be worsened by vitamin deficiency (such as B12) or conditions like syphilis. If vitamin B12 deficient often would need injections to properly restore levels. A thorough neurologic evaluation is key to sorting out the possibilities. In most case vitamin therapy unlikely to have major impact unless clear deficiency (I have had many patients over the decades develop such problems who took lots of vitamins with generally unimpressive results). KH

Dizzyness
Your Response to Inquiry "Truvada / Isentress and Muscle Stiffness / Joint Pain" on 1/25/2010