Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Getting my liver Detoxed from all the med. use?
Feb 10, 2010

I have been positive for 10 years and still doing well..virol load is undetectable and cd4 count over 400...Is there someting I can do to clean my liver of all the meds i have been using for years and other toxins?....Do you think it will be helpfull?

Response from Dr. Henry

Good question. In the SMART Trial we thought that stopping all HIV meds when CD4 counts >> 350 might detoxify patients and thus decrease toxicity as long as CD4 count remained > 250. The exact opposite actually occurred where risk for heart disease, cancer, liver diease, and kidney disease all increased in the group that stopped their HIV meds compared to those taking meds. In general the HIV meds now used in US are even less toxic then those used 5-10 years ago so there is reassuring data that current recommended regimens are generally safe for long term use from the liver standpoint (though periodic monitoring is standard practice). There is no liver detoxification treatment that I can recommend based on good data. Avoiding other liver toxins (such as alcohol, other meds that can be hard on the liver, viral hepatitis, excessive acetominophen, perhaps obesity) is important general approach. KH

Previous
Life with HIV after angioplasty at 59
Next
Follow-up to Liver Detox

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.