Getting my liver Detoxed from all the med. use?

I have been positive for 10 years and still doing well..virol load is undetectable and cd4 count over 400...Is there someting I can do to clean my liver of all the meds i have been using for years and other toxins?....Do you think it will be helpfull?

Good question. In the SMART Trial we thought that stopping all HIV meds when CD4 counts >> 350 might detoxify patients and thus decrease toxicity as long as CD4 count remained > 250. The exact opposite actually occurred where risk for heart disease, cancer, liver diease, and kidney disease all increased in the group that stopped their HIV meds compared to those taking meds. In general the HIV meds now used in US are even less toxic then those used 5-10 years ago so there is reassuring data that current recommended regimens are generally safe for long term use from the liver standpoint (though periodic monitoring is standard practice). There is no liver detoxification treatment that I can recommend based on good data. Avoiding other liver toxins (such as alcohol, other meds that can be hard on the liver, viral hepatitis, excessive acetominophen, perhaps obesity) is important general approach. KH

Life with HIV after angioplasty at 59
Follow-up to Liver Detox