Combivir & Viracept for 12 years, now neuropathy?

I stumbled upon your web site about a month ago and I must say I have found it very informative. That being so, I have a few questions of my own. I was diagnosed 12 years ago and have been taking Combivir and Viracept since the very first day. A few years after diagnosis I found I had gained a whopping 30 lbs. so I started a very good weight loss/nutrition program to remove the weight. I have worked very hard to remain fit and healthy but find that I still have a protruding belly that no amount of dieting or excercise seems to be flattening. My limbs and face show little to no signs of wasting and appear healthy. Could the belly be sticking around due to my meds? Also, in the last two months I have been suffering from severe leg pain/aching. My Dr. gave me gabapentin and sent me for an MRI with Contrast to rule out any spine or back issues. As of today I have not been informed of the MRI results but they have referred me to a Neuropathy Pain Management Clinic for further consultation. Again, would this aching leg ailament have anything to do with being on the same "old" regiment for so long and should I consider switching? My VL runs between undetectable and 480, my cd4 is usually between 950 and 1200 with the percentages being between 32-34%. I have recently been diagnosed as having a B-12 deficiency (256) and read that combivir can block the absorbtion of B-12. Sorry for the rambling but is there any combination of newer meds you would recommend that might help relieve any or all of these issues? Fat/protruding belly, leg pain/ache, and low B-12 levels. My current regiment has always seemed successful and I fear change but I am also not happy with these other issues that have recently popped up...I anxiously await any ideas you may have.......

Your regimen has not had much of an association with peripheral neuropathy but it can happen. Increased intra-abdominal fat has not been as much of a feature of HIV-related fat problems as fat loss. Abdominal fat gain is a major problem in the general population (often strong genetic component so what do similarly aged or older relatives in your family look like is a glimpse into your own genetics) so has been more difficult to link certain HIV regimens with increased abdominal fat. That being said there are some individuals who seem more sensitive to fat problems with certain drugs. Depending on your treatment/resistance history a switch to a possibly more fat friendly HIV regimen (ie off Combivir to Truvada and off nelfinavir to raltegravir or possibly an NNRTI) merits discussion. Affordable and long term safe and effect treatment options for intrabdominal fat remains sub-optimal (you are already doing the diet and exercise intervention it sounds like). KH

Reglan/Metoclopramide
changing meds