gynecomastia

Hi I have developed gynecomastia - and am on atripla so been told by the doctors that it's probably the efavirenz. Been reading various Answers - like: http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Fatigue/Archive/Help/Q195624.html Have decided to try Testogel for a bit before changing meds but I'm unclear whether this is a good plan given all the possible side effects. Do you think i should just bite the bullet and change my meds (I have lots of treatment options). Or give the gel a go. CD4 is 595 (30-odd%). Been on the same meds for about 5 years. Cheers (and thank you for all the good work you do on here)

It is often unclear what causes male breast enlargement in the setting of HIV treatment. Hormone abnormalities can contribute is some cases so seeing an endocrinologist can be useful. Supplemental testosterone can have mixed effects. The course of gynecomastia is variable (often will wax and wane over tine) making short term results of studies difficult to interpret. I cannot with a high level of confidence endorse that a switch to a different HIV regimen will clearly result in improvement (ie to a raltegravir or boosted PI based regimen) but such empiric switching is sometimes a reasonable option but need to be patient to evaluate the outcome. KH

Meds with Force Factor
Low Grade Dyspasia