OHL and on stable HAART

Hi Dr Keith,

My Partner is HIV / HEP C positive and has been on Atripla for about under a year - CD4 500 and VL <50. His HEP C is the worst gene type to respond to treatment, so his doctor is waiting for new line treatment options.

He has previously and post treatment, been getting bouts of OHL. This has been diagnosed by his HIV Dr. He was prescribed a course of Valaciclovir, which helped initially but didn't clear it entirely.

His Dr has said if it didn't respond to initial treatment then it wouldn't go away. We have been reading about the negative signs relating to OHL and I wonder what your thoughts were on the long-term prognosis for someone on successful HAART but still getting this condition? Does this indicate a shorter longevity?

Are you aware of any other treatments that may help to cure this condition?

Naturally I'm concerned and want to help him if I can.

Thanks x

I would make sure he is seen by dentist to that the diagnosis is confirmed. Sometimes longer term use of anti-herpes medication is needed. If that doesnt help then topical treatments such as retinoic acid, podophyllin, or ablative therapies are considered. Avoiding tobacco products may help some in my experience. Prognosis is usually good but sometimes patience is needed. KH

Dental Work and Atripla
Pregnant and scared