Interactions of Protease Inhibitors and Blood Pressure Medications

I was recently placed on Tekturna and HCT to treat my blood pressure, and pravastatin for the P.I. increased cholesterol.

Initially, the Tekturna dose of 150mg (the lowest prescription) seemed to create a neuropathy sensation on my left leg and arm. I split the dose in half, and this seems to have stabilized.

I take Reyataz (2 x 200mg, daily), and I later found there are interactions between the two drugs, though I've not been able to find specific information, I'm going to guess it's the metabolic route.

I continue to have an annoying crawling sensation in my left leg, some muscle twitching in my left forearm. It comes and goes. Stopping Tekturna for a day proved disastrous.

I've seen a neurologist; had an MRI of my brain, my lower spine and an EMG (fun!) and all is normal.

My regimen is: Reyataz, Viread, Norvir, 3TC, Testim. I've been on this combination for 5+ years, never had any problems. I realize this is always difficult to narrow down; however, I wonder if you're familiar with Tekturna and these side effects, or perhaps have some other idea of what might be causing them?

My doctors are thus far stumped.

I asked my cardiologist to schedule me for a test to check for plaque buildup (a distinct possibility as my cholesterol as been on the high side for years) which may account for that sensation.

Any ideas or suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I have seen no formal drug interaction studies with protease inhibitors and Aliskiren but the potential for interaction seems real.Aliskiren can cause muscle irritation in a small subset of patients. It is cleared from the body by the liver and that pathway can be blocked by protease inhibitors so a dose reduction in your case is wise and then monitoring with clinical evaluations and blood tests. If any reader knows of a study looking at the pharmacokinetic interaction of aliskiren and protease inhibitors please post. KH

Truvada / Isentress and Muscle Stiffness / Joint Pain
Slowly CD4