Truvada / Isentress and Muscle Stiffness / Joint Pain

Hello Dr. Henry,

I started Truvada / Isentress (treatment naive) about a week ago. In the last few days, I have noticed stiffness in my butt, left thigh and calf, left arm muscles - generally in the location of the tendon / joint, not smack dab in the middle of the muscle. (For instance left thigh at the knee and at the hip, left arm at the elbow and the like). I've also noticed muscle stiffness in my face, particularly around my mouth - but this stiffness may have started before I started the meds, I can't remember.

Is this related to the Isentress? Will it go away or get worse over time?

Thank you very much.

Muscle stiffness has not been much of a problem with either raltegravir or Truvada though general body aches can be experienced when starting a a variety of HIV regimens and may be partly related to immune reconstitution. If any reader has had a similar experience to what is described here please post. Most drug related or immune reconstitution symptoms will improve after several weeks/months. In your case if the symptoms existed prior to starting the HIV meds then seems even less likely that the meds are the main cause. Recommend informing your HIV provider of your symptoms so that the situation can be monitored. KH

Combid 300mg
Interactions of Protease Inhibitors and Blood Pressure Medications