Fighting Lipodystrophy

I was diagnosed with HIV in 2000. I have been taking Truvada combined with Kaletra for the past 3 years. I have noticed that my body is storing fat aggressively in my torso area and I am gaining mass in my breasts. I do not want to change meds., because I my numbers are good. How do I fight liposdystrophy with exercise, and is it possible for my body overcome this side effect of my medication. My physical appearance is causing more severe depression and reclusiveness. I need positive feedback. Thank you.

Fat gain can be seen with a variety of HIV regimens-there is often no easy single approach to reverse or manage the problem. Fat gain is common in the general population so remains unclear how much is due to HIV infeciton itself or certain drugs or regimens. Truvada is fairly fat neutral for most patients so switching that seems unlikely to help much. Switching the Kaletra to nevirapine or raltegravir (if those are options) may help some patients but data is limited and responses are quite variable. Diet and exercise are helpful for many patients so I would highly recommend discussing with your HIV specialist with possible referral to a nutritionist and personal trainer. Sometimes hormone abnormalities might contribute to fat problems so a routine assessment is often worthwhile. KH

switching medication
Peripheral neuropathy