Cd4 count 600+, platelet count very low

Hi doctor,

I was diagnosed with hiv in August 2007. My last cd4 count was 2 months ago with 600+. 9 months ago my doctor found that my platelet count was very low & it remains that way till now. I did bone marrow test to find out if it was leukemia, fortunately, it was not leukemia. My doctor told me that it is Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP). I get bruises on my body sometimes & feel tired most of the time,nothing more than that. My doctor thinks it could be the virus. I will need to start taking stocrin & combivir soon. If possible i do not want to start on meds yet. what if it is not the virus thats causing my platelet low or are these meds going to make it worse. In my country plhiv will only start haart if the cd4 count less than 250. I need a second opinion from an expert.

Thank you for your time.

ITP can be caused by HIV infection. It may respond in some cases to a burst of corticosteroids or splenectomy (both have possible downside problems). Antiretroviral therapy often will improve (but not always) low platelet counts so that is a reasonable consideration. For countries where CD4 count < 200-250 required for starting, sometimes the argument that the ITP is HIV related (a clinical complication of HIV) can lead to a waiver of the CD4 count criteria but that is highly variable. KH

Sugar, Calcium, etc
Pregnant woman with HIV