Androgel Making Lipo worse?

Dr. Henry....I am currently taking Norvir, Reyataz, Viread and Videx. I noticed that when I stopped using my Androgel, the fat around my stomach started to improve....when I returned to using Androgel....the abdominal fat and fat around my chest area became much worse. This seems to be the opposite of what one would expect. Is this an anomaly or does this sometimes happen? Estrogen conversion from the Androgel doing this? Thank you for your anticipated help. RC

Testosterone has not been shown to decrease intra-abdominal fat in HIV+ persons with lipodystrophy. In one study (done by the ACTG research group) subcutaneous fat (including abdominal area) decreased with testosterone with no benefit on intra-abdominal fat. Your experience is not that unusual and serves to point out how difficult it is, with our current understanding and limited treatment options, to effectively treat many of the fat abnormalities seen in HIV+ persons (fat abnormalities are complex and are also a problem in the general population, though there it is usually fat gain, while in HIV+ people the biggest challenge is fat loss). KH

hiv and babies
Belching in any way related to lipodistrophy and meds?