Hair Loss a normal side effect?

About 1-2 weeks after I started meds - Norvir, prezista and truvada - I began shedding hair in large clumps. My scalp feels dry and it seems that hair is easily pulled from my scalp. Its been 3 washings now and I've continued to have large balls of hair come out when I wash - they even come out all the time during the day. My doctor says that it is stress and is not concerned but I've never had this shedding before the meds although my hair was thinning at a much slower rate - age, birth control pills. I need to know if this is a side effect of others on this medication. Is hair loss a side effect of just having HIV? Please advise...

A small subset of patients report accelerated hair loss after starting a variety of HIV regimen so it is difficult to pin down the one likely culprit out of a combination. Such a situation is understandably frustrating. The FTC in Truvada may have a slighly increased risk for hair effect than the other components in my experience. If any reader wishes to provide other personal testimony please post. KH

The P450 pathway interaction
Atripla and Street Drugs