13 years passed and we still invest in HAART

Looking at the current pipeline of new meds in development I have the impression that nothing new is being studied but the companies are trying to fill the gap for those who are resistant to most of the meds. I understand the importance but I consider also the fact that we can't treat people for their lifetime. Who is willing to pay for that? What should we expect in relation to toxicities? I see more and more drugs studied with the same principle of action of the old medicines approved 10 years ago. The only new approach are the CCR5 drugs which are unfortunately only for those who have the right virus type and are treatment experienced. I'm still not on meds yet but if needed I would start with something new and side effects free. Where are the new meds? How long we need to wait for the next breakthrough in treatment? Please don't tell me that we have very good treatment now as I know plenty of people that don't tollerate the drugs and are also developing body changes. We can't continue to put patients daily on those toxic regimens. The body isn't able to tollerate this very long without any damage. Please explain how those people will feel in 15-20 years of treatment? Would you say it's the same like taking daily vitamins?

Your points are well taken. There is renewed interest in finding a cure or more definitive therapy with some novel approaches that hopefully will pan out over the next decade. Some of the drugs in development are notable for simplicity and safety profile to date so I do believe that in the meantime treatment will improve further (ie the non ritonavir booster drugs or newer integrase inhibitors) for those stuck on therapy for the time being. KH

Overnight numbness in my arms
HIV and melatonin