Dec 11, 2009
Why does my optometrist ask/need to know my HIV status or if I am taking any meds or HAART?
| Response from Dr. Henry
There is still a possibility that your tears could contain HIV virus. All health care offices should be practicing universal precaution which should diminish any chance for infection but it's still considered appropriate to inform all health care workers about HIV status. Also, HIV+ patients can have some eye conditions that occur more often in the setting of HIV infection than in the general population so it is helpful in making a proper diagnosis (such as forms of viral retinitis or conjunctivitis). KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Eye Exam For Hiv Patients
- Coated Tongue After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Dark Bumps After Sex With Stripper Worried I Have HIV
- Hairy Tongue After Blood Splash Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Skin After Giving Oral Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Penis Discharge After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.