Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Intelence (question from Russia Moscow)
Nov 20, 2009

Dear Doc, I m from Moscow Russia,the quest is: my doctor give me intelece+Kivexa for the first line, is it possible for people who never take therapy like me? My analises: CD - 276, 18%, viral - normal 4500 (we have much in Russia is 60000 and more to start therapy, hepatitiû Ñ is negative pcr for 1,5 year. I could not take 3 lines becouse of effects : Sustiva+Combivir= sustiva is awful, Reataz+Combivir= i was yellowing all and my billirubin was 80 (normal is 20,the last one was Kaletra+Combivir and my billir was 60 (normal is 20. So, my doc reccomend intelence/ I m worry becouse intelence is the last line of therapy? Is it? Do you reccomend it first med? I nave thrombocytopenia for 4-5 year, HIV+ for 8-9 year. Thank you before you answer. Intelence apper in Moscow only today. I will be waitting....

Response from Dr. Henry

etravirine (Intelence) is currently awkward to take (2 pills twice a day) and has been mostly studied in patients with treatment experience/resistance. It would be expected to work well in patients with little/no resistance (including your situation) and is generally well tolerated (major drawback is pill count/twice a day dosing). Thus use of Intelence in a situation such as yours should not be viewed as last line of therapy. CCR5 inhibitors, integrase inhibitors, and other boosted PI options would often work well as well but may not be presently available in Moscow but hopefully that will change in the near future to provide other options. KH

Previous
Atripla Side Effects
Next
Life expectancy of an HIV positive person on treatment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.