Is taking Valtrex (valaciclovir) safe with HIV meds?

Hello Dr,

Thank you for the great service you provide with this website. I am doing very well on Efevirenz and Truvada (Tenofovir/Emtricitabine). Undetectable viral load and CD4 at 430 / 29%. My Dr has also prescribed me Valtrex for genital herpes. I read recently that Valtrex is not recommended for people with HIV as in may lead to Kidney failure.

My Dr is a HIV specialist, so I assume he is doing the right thing. Would you agree, or are there alternative treatments.

Would this be one of the reasons why he keeps an eye on my liver and kidney function?

I'd appreciate your opinion.

Many thanks,

Jim.

Valtrex is generally safe and OK to take with your current HIV regimen. Monitoring kidney function periodically is recommended when taking drug regimens including tenofovir (Truvada) and valacyclovir. KH

Extremem chronic Pain
Myelopathy in HIV