Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Children exposed to antiretrovirals in the womb
Aug 15, 2009

Fourteen years ago my child was born. During pregnancy I was given AZT - the only effective meds in that era. My child received till 6 weeks after his birth AZT as a syrup. Thank God he tested negative. With my mind at ease on his HIV-status, today I still have some remaining questions. My son for example has a mild blood deviation, somewhat similar to sickle-cell disease. Is it genetic? Due to meds I took...? I don't know and my docs can't tell me. What worries me sometimes are the possible (longterm) effects of these meds I took during pregnancy. Are there any? If yes, which ones have they discovered? Is there any survey/research on these kids? I know many answers concerning children born out of moms with HIV will remain unanswered for the time being, but is there already any information or research on (long-term) effects of prenatal HIV therapy on children?

Thanks

Response from Dr. Henry

The long term safety of antiretrovirals taken during pregnancy is still a matter of interest and importance. Many of the commonly used drugs such as AZT may have a negative effect on mitochondria in the new born which has been document, is usually mild, and appears to wane with time. There are a number of long term follow-up studies involving HIV- children born to HIV+ women who took antiretroviral meds during pregnancy. In general the results have been reassuring that long term health appears good in those children but more studies and follow-up time is needed as well as information specific to certain drugs. KH

Previous
Hiv.treatment?
Next
Diarrhea and Kaletra

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.