Hives/Rash on Atripla

Hello - I've been POZ for 3 years, just started on Atripla as my first medicine, I felt great, very little side effects, some vivid dreams is all - until the 9th day when I broke out in hives, that covered much of my body.

I've read every question on this site about the side effect "rash" but still can't determine if that is the same as Hives ?

if Hives is different does that mean I'm allergic to the Atripla? Will I most likely have to try another med "cocktail"? (most say rash is a side effect - is there going to be an option for me?) It was really convenient taking only 1 pill and was happy with no other side effects.

I called my specialist, he said to stop the meds - my appointment is in a few days, but that will be minimum of 5 nights without taking any meds isn't that bad?

Thanks!

Rash and hives overlap (hives is a type of rash). Most often a patient with hives who started Atripla can continue the Atripla and be managed with antihistamines and observation. If eyes, mouth, breathing involved them must stop the Atripla. If Atripla is stopped often there will be a switch to an alternative regimen (such as a boosted PI or raltegravir) both for continued HIV suppression and to avoid resistance to the efavirenz. I recommend further discussion with your HIV specialist. KH

osteomyelitis (bone infection)??
starting meds for first time