For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Truvada/Kaletra absorbtion rate

I am on day 23 of a 28 day PEP of the above meds. I have had diarhea from day 1 usually 1-2 hours after taking the meds. I have tried to take these meds with food - not a problem in the evening - but I have 0 appetite in the morning - so usually a piece of bread, or very little yoghurt or appleauce. Regardless, the diarhea occurs 1-2 hours after ingestion (morning or evening)

Given the above am I recieving benefit from these meds or are they just being purged from my body? The diarhea smells a lot like the meds(Kaletra) and I am concerned that they are not being absorbed.

I went into this PEP thinking there is a very good chance that I would remain negative - but the above is really concerning me!

Thank you

Many HIV+ pxs have considerable diarrhea when taking Kaletra/Truvada and there is a fairly uniform good response so absorption of the drugs is usually quite good despite loose stools/diarrhea. KH

videx, epivir and stocrin
rash on my upper back & shoulders