videx, epivir and stocrin

Hi Dr. Henry, I`ve been positive for about 2 years and my last cd4 count is 345 (no data about pcr and %, since in my country those test are only for people on treatment) and I`ve been offered to start treatment with either 1) videx, epivir and stocrin or 2)combivir and stocrin. I`d like to start with the first combo since it is once a day regimen but there are many guides which recomends the second combination (combivir and stocrin). Can the first combo be as good as the second one, regarding the possibility to achieve full suppression of the virus and side effects? Which of these two would you recomend? Thank you very much for all your work here!!!

Good question. There is not nearly as much experience with Videx/Epivir/Stocrine compared to Combivir/Stocrine and not much in the way of head to head studies between the two. Overall both regimens have a high chance for success (viral suppression with CD4 rebound). With Combivir there is more concern for anemia, GI discomfort, or lipoatrophy from the AZT while with Videx there is more concern about peripheral neuropathy and pancreatitis. Ultimately the choice comes down to which regimen you would be most concerned about. I would tend to favor the Combivir option due to my experience with it. In the US Truvada or Epzicom (if HLA B5701 negative) would generally be considered rather the the two choices available to you. I confess I do not have much recent experience with either of the two regimens you detail since alternative regimens are available. KH

Urinating frequently
Truvada/Kaletra absorbtion rate