Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re: "Brain problems"
Jul 24, 2009

Hi Dr. Henry,

You wrote in response to a question entitled "Brain problems" that the "risk for significant neurocognitive problems with a suppressed plasma viral load and CD4 count > 500 is quite low but remains a concern with many unanswered questions."

I have followed this issue closely as my wife is HIV+, although I am fortunate to be HIV-. Her treatment response has been excellent so far (increase from ~226 CD4+ to 890 as of last count, after ~2 years of therapy). Her viral load is undetectable and always has been since within two months after starting treatment.

Question: when you say the risk of major neurocognitive problems is "quite low," are you able to assign a number to that risk? Are you aware of any studies showing the degree of risk in people with well-controlled HIV, similar to what I have just described?

Thank you very much for your work here. I read all the forums here frequently and almost always find something hopeful to take away with me.

Response from Dr. Henry

I find the literature on level of neurocognitive dysfunction for HIV+ persons doing well on HIV treatment (suppressed with CD4 count >> 350) to be confusing with no clear consensus= not possible to give a % of persons who are doing well and have clinically significant brain dysfunction. Sophisticated testing can often find a worrisome level of mild dysfunction but generally very low level of severe dysfunction. Certain HIV meds penetrate better in to brain but again the data is not clear as to whether better "brain" meds result in less mild dysfunction for patients doing well. This topic needs more work!! KH

Previous
marihuana test and sustiva
Next
Epzicom Rash

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.