Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

marihuana test and sustiva
Jul 24, 2009

first of all excuse me for my English level. I want to write you about the possitive in urine test of marihuana when someone takes sustiva. In my job they did me an urine test and i was possitive in marihuana; i never smoke. My doctor said to me that it was due to i was taking sustiva. In my job the do a second specific test more technical in order to confirm if i was a marihuana consumer and in that specific test i was negative. This interaction is because some kind of urine tests react with sustiva as a possitive in marijuana but when they have to confirm that fact wiht a more complex one they do not have a possitive result. i was talking with a laboratory and they confirm me that they only search in the urine the kind of drug that they are searching to... it is very difficult to search sustiva and it costs so much money to do this specific tests... in short they realize a second different test of urine with another method and u will be negative because the interaction with sustiva depends on the test they use. i hope i can help u. greetings and sorry for my English...

Response from Dr. Henry

Sustiva can cause a false positive test for marijuana. I have often written a letter for patients explaining to employers that the patient is taking a necessary prescription medication that can cause the false positive test. I have encountered no instance where such a letter (and occasionally a follow-up phone call) hasn't resolved the matter. KH

Previous
How can I do this?
Next
Re: "Brain problems"

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.