HIV Tat Protein Part II

Thank you Doctor Henry for posting my alert which has hit home personally. I had a question buried in the verbose previous post, as to how effecient, Sustiva is by itself, taking out the HIV lurking behind the Blood Brain Barrier (BBB) with it's Tat Protein attacking the neurons? There was a scale called the Lickner (sp) (?) which you could enter you ART meds and get a number with 'over 2', being somewhat good-although I "just heard" about this from a HIV Support Conference today. Do you know of it? (this lickner (sp) scale)?

With the realization of this NEW study out of Rochester, and the "synaptic pruning" of my neuron transmission capacity, there should be standard therapy discussion and with that, a neuro cog test with a 'baseline'-to track and measure brain processing power. Like they say knowledge is power, and there is nothing worse than losing your mental abilities via HIV Infection from a disease that is still rather new to science AND patients.

Thank you, Doctor.

Thanks for posting that concern. There remains unclear data as to whether HIV meds than penetrate well into brain clearly provide a clinical benefit regarding brain function compared to otherwise effective HIV drugs that don't penetrate as well. That is an area of ongoing concern and study though studies often recruit poorly due to the need for repeated spinal taps and often expensive imaging or time consuming cognitive assessments. KH

CD4 Count and Viral Load