CD4 Count and Viral Load

I was recently diagnosed with a CD4 count of 41, and a viral load of 78,000. After 1 month on antiviral meds, my CD4 number went up to 710 and my viral load dropped to 140. The CD4 number seems to be a bit excessive to me as it did with the doctor. She made the comment "either this is a miracle or a mix up may have happened with the lab work". I was on steroids after a bout with PCP and was told my numbers would be off due to the steroids.Should I request new labs be taken to ensure these are my correct numbers?

The CD4 count is highly dependent on the total white blood cell (WBC)count so sometimes a large increase or decrease relates to a major change in the WBC (can be impacted by other factors such as steroid use). Following the CD4% and repeating the CD4 test in several weeks/months would be reasonable to consider for the situation you describe. From the data you described you have had a very good response which never ceases to amaze /thrill me (given my memory of the old days before effective drugs were available). KH

zithromax
HIV Tat Protein Part II