Common cold, flu or allergies? Is tylenol ok?

Dear Dr Keith,

Thank you for all you help on the forum.

I have a question for you.

I have been on Atripla for 2 motnhs now with almost no side effects. Winter is kicking in here in Lima, Peru and people are starting to get the FLU and common colds.

This past week i have been feelling really FLUish, but only regarding nasal congestion, especially at night.

I have been taking Tylenol multi symptom for the past 5 days and fell that I have gotten better although still have nasal congestion (specially at night). I have had NO fevers, sore throat or cough at all. I also feel short or breath sometimes but no pain on chest or other parts of the body whatsoever.

I have never suffered from allergies in the past.

I was wondering if you think that i just have a common cold and if taking tylenol is my best defense.

How long does this usually last? I have been feeling like this since monday and have stayed in bed freaked out since it is the first time ive felt kinda sick since I was diagnosed.

The AH1N1 virus cases are growing rapidly in Lima but i guess that my symptom is no of that.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx a lot!

Joe

Tylenol (acetaminphem) in modest doses (1-2 grams total daily) is OK with Atripla. More caution needed if liver problems such as hepatitis C. Cold symptoms usually get better in 5-7 days. Influeza (flu) symptoms can take longer (7-10 days +). KH

Atripla and Calcium Carbonate (Tums/Rolaids)
Rash Associated with Atripla