Unbearable Headache - 4+ weeks...

Hi, I am really having a rough time. I have been POZ since 2005, and taking meds for the past 2 years. Started on Atripla, but had intermittent headaches and fatigue. Doc switched me to Epzicom/Lexiva/Norvir. Worked well, but had diarhea frequently, etc. So, about 2 months ago, we switched to Epzicom/Reyataz. My numbers are good --- with VL undetectable and t-cells around 500. 4 weeks ago I developed a severe headache on the R side of my head, hurting in the ear area, down my head and face, and neck. It has NEVER gone away since it developed. I wake up with it and go to sleep with it. My doc has done lots of blood work, had MRI ... nothing is showing up. I am finding it difficult to function at my job and the pain is sometimes unbearable. I have an appt scheduled with a neurologist, but am starting to truly worry. Can you offer any suggestions or advice? I also have been taking crestor and effexor for 5+ years. Thanks!!!!

Any rash or blisters in the involved regions (early shingles can present with symptoms as you describe). Otherwise no easy answers likely. Your current HIV regimen has not been at all linked to localized neuropathy as you describe. Is their a family history of migraine? Sometimes conditions such as polymyalgia rheumatica can cause symptoms like you describe if there is associated stiffness of the muscles where the pain is located. Seeing a neurologist sounds like a good plan. KH

HIV related leukoencephalopahty
Itching arm