Strange Neuropathy

Hi, I was just diagnosed and not on meds yet. Not sure what my CD4 and VL are yet but I'm sure they're not in normal range. I have what seems to be P.N. in my upper legs and a bit in my knees. I have had nothing below the knee and my feet have been fine - no tingling, etc. The upper part of my legs feel like they're either cold or burning. Also, there is a slight pinching pain at the back of the leg. I was only infected 4-5 months ago so neuropathy coming on this early is very worrysome to me. The problem is always the worst when I am sitting or laying down. I really don't feel it when I'm standing up. I don't notice any muscle fatigue when going up and down stairs. The pain responds to motrin - I usually take 6-200 mg capsules a day. I've read some articles online about P.N. and its potential debilitiating effects....I do NOT want nerve damage and I do NOT want to end up in a wheelchair. What do doctors usually do about this? I am getting my bloodwork done tomorrow and will be talking to my ID doc, but I was hoping you could shed some light on this complex issue. Thanks!

The leg symptoms you describe are not typical for HIV-related neuropathy so I would consider some other diagnosis more likely (such as some form of nerve compression in lumbar sacral area or back of legs). A careful history and neurologic examination should be able to better pinpoint the likely causes of your symptoms. KH

a complicated syndrome
Drug screening and Atripla