HIV and SLEEP APNOEA

It's my 10th year of living with HIV and have been on ARV since 2002 . I developed sleep apnoea 4 years ago, underwent sleep tests and was prescribed cpap. I started on cpap machine 4 months ago and noticed recently to my horror that I am suffering severe memory loss to the extent that I have to abandon my semester exam when my first paper turned out to be a disaster. Am in the 4th year of my degree programme (5 year part-time) and have just one year down the line. Now I have lost a semester! So scared with the prospect of not finishing my degree. My academic performance before cpap was above average. My next ENT clinic appointment is in August. What can I do before then and thereafter?

Sleep apnea is common in the general population so hard to pin down an occasional link to either HIV infection or a particular HIV regimen. Efavirenz could possibly aggravate sleep problems in an occasional patient so a switch may be a consideration in select patients. Have you been to a sleep clinic separate from the ENT clinic or is that where your local sleep clinic is based? KH

Diflucan and Bactrim
Vaccination for Hep A, B and Titanus