Muscle pain - Ouch...... I hurt all the time

I was diagnosed in May 2005, at that time my cd4 was 13 and my VL was off the chart. I was put on Kaletra (Lopinavir/Ritonavir 200mg/50mg) 2 tablets, twice daily and Truvada (Emtricitabine/Tenofovir 200mg/300mg) 1 tablet once a day. No side effects, cd4 stable in the 400 range and the VL undectable. In December 2007 I was put on Gemfibrozil 600 MG due to high LDL and Triglycerides, both are now in the reasonable range.

Over the last year I have been having muscle pain all over, from head to toe. Most notable from lower back, buttocks and legs. I am treated though the VA healthcare system, while free, I am not 100% confident in the PA that I am relegated to for treatment. I don't get much in the way of answers to my concern and don't want drugs for pain management.

What say you?

Pain is a common complaint even in the general population and often a challenge to determine the exact cause and find an effective safe treatment. That being said I would be concerned whether you are having some form of muscle irritation from the gemfibrozil or another condition or medication. Besides a thorough clinical evaluation blood tests for muscle enzymes or general inflammation might be useful. Sometimes a muscle biopsy is needed if the pain is determined to be some form of myopathy (involving the muscle tissue). KH

Newbie with peripheral neuropathy after only 4 months being poz
yellow skin