Chitosan to Reduce Cholesterol and Triglycerides?

Hi, I previously asked about ways to reduce cholesterol and triglycerides that are rising as a side effect of a HAART regime heavy in PI's, Crixivan, Norvir, Videx and Crixivan. I have run across a recommended supplement called Chitosan, which is an all natural product derived from the polysaccharide chitin, found in the exo-skeletons of shellfish. It apparently attaches to lipids or fats before they are metabolized. Sounds reasonable, but what do you know about it, and do you think it could help with controlling increased lipids resulting from HAART. Thanks.Gary

Response from Dr. Boyle

I am unaware of any data that directly support the use of Chitosan for lipid control, but several other drugs (for example colestipol and cholestyramine) work along the same "fat trapping" mechanism. I am also not completely sure that it won't bind other things (such as antiretrovirals) and interfere with their absorption. I would use this product with cuation and discuss it with your doctor before doing so.

herbal tx. for neuropathy?
Liver failure