Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Milk thistle or other liver detox with HIV meds?
Apr 30, 2009

I have recently been told that my liver is a little high, i think the enzymes or some other count, and I mentioned to my new dr here in Palm Springs that when I was in Austin TX before moving here, my Dr there wanted to take a liver biopsy as my blood tests gave a similar effect for my liver. The result of the biopsy was hepatoportal sclerosis. So can i use milk thistle for my liver while taking my cocktails or will it flush all the meds out of my system? An employee back in Austin that works for whole foods told me maybe to not take the liver cleanse because my hiv meds may get all washed out or some other reason, is that true? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I also have HPV ,repeated cultured warts in my mouth show HPV over and over again, and I cant seem to get rid of one in particular. I have been taking Thuja tincture lately, and putting a dropper full straight in my mouth a few times a day, could this be making my liver shoot up again? Any other suggestions for my HPV ulcers, or warts,in my mouth? Drs have burned, shot them with stuff, and cut them out,.only for them to return, Any help would be greatly appreciated, Sincerely, Mike in PS

Response from Dr. Henry

There is no data based on a well done study showing that milk thistle is effective and safe to use for liver related problems seen in the setting of treated HIV infection. There are anecdotal reports of benefit and some of my patients have taken it (in those cases can't say I have seen either any problems or clear benefit). You captured well the frustration regarding treatment options for HPV (in mouth often very challenging). I don't have any suggestions that would likely be helpful given your treatment history. If any reader has any suggestions please post! KH

Previous
Spider or insect bites and HIV
Next
muscle spasms in hands and legs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.