For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Combivir and avascular necrosis

Sir, I have been on the regimen of combivir and kaletra from 2005 to 2008. I have now been diagnosed with avascular necrosis of both hips and shoulders. Is there a correlation between the use of the combivir kaletra regimen avascular necrosis?

There appears to be a modestly increased risk for avascular necrosis of the hip in HIV+ persons. Risk factors have included used of corticosteroids and other steroids. High levels of troglycerides may contribute some and those can be increased by protease inhibitors. Direct unequivocal links to specific HIV drugs have not been established but data is still sketchy. I have had perhaps a dozen patients develop that condition on a variety of regimens so I have not observed a clear link to any one drug. KH

Life Expectancy
what can I do if I feel really depresse