P.A.H. (Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension) and HIV

Why is no one addressing P.A.H. and its connection to HIV/AIDS infection. I was dignosed with stage 3 PAH two years ago and told I could become "terminal" within 6 months. I was also told that I have this terminal heart condition due to my long term HIV infection (18 years). Please explain how and why the my long term HIV infection triggered this terminal heart condition P.A.H.?

There have been a number of reports linking HIV infection to pulmonary hypertension though rate of clinical problems has remained low overall. Some patients with pulmonary hypertension have responded to some of the newer treatment for that condition (I have several in our clinic). Many cases are of unknown cause in the general population so link to HIV can be tough to nail down (many conditions have been linked to pulmonary hypertension including pulmonary emboli, sleep apnea, COPD, scleroderma and many others). Treatments include (from Mayo Clinic website):

Prostacyclin analogues These medicines enable the vessels in the lungs to expand and allow the blood to move through them with less resistance (vasodilation). The primary drugs in this category are prostacyclin, which is given as a continuous intravenous infusion, and treprostinil, which is given as a continuous infusion under the skin or as a continuous intravenous infusion.

Endothelin receptor antagonists These drugs, in pill form, help to reverse the effect of endothelin, a substance in blood vessels that causes the vessels to constrict. As a result, these drugs also produce vasodilation. Bosentan is the endothelin receptor antagonist approved for use in pulmonary hypertension; others are being studied.

Phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors Sildenafil is a medication that has been FDA-approved to treat pulmonary hypertension. Revatio contains sildenafil, the same active ingredient as the impotence drug Viagra. It works by opening the blood vessels in the lungs, but it is used cautiously because sildenafil has been associated with vision problems and other side effects.

High-dose calcium channel blockers For some patients, these medications also help to relax the muscles in the blood vessels, and promote vasodilation.

Anticoagulants These drugs help to prevent the blood from clotting.

Diuretics These medications help to remove excess fluid from body tissues which may accumulate due to high pressures in blood vessels.

Oxygen With a higher concentration of oxygen in the air, more oxygen enters the bloodstream even though blood flow is reduced.

Many drugs for treating pulmonary hypertension have strong, serious side effects. The level of dosage must be carefully set and monitored to avoid dangerous consequences.

There are a number of groups in Europe/US and elsewhere that are monitoring for a variety of cardiac and lung conditions in HIV+ persons-a modest increase in pulmonary hypertension has been noted though no clear explanation exists-possibilities include chronic inflammation, immune activation, and coagulation problems. KH

kivexa/sustiva dreams and insomnia
neuropathy