HIV medications and the sun

I am currently taking Truvada and Viramune and undetectable with 500 cd4 count. I've been positive for about 18 years but began taking these meds in June 2006. I noticed the first summer when I began taking the meds that within 24 to 48 hours of being in the sun (even for just a few minutes) I would breakout with acne. This would happen only on the areas of my body that was exposed to the sun. The acne can be severe and painful. Large and small pimples with white heads. I live in the Northeast and did not have acne all winter. A few weeks ago (early April) I was out in the sun without a shirt for about 30 to 40 minutes and within 24 to 48 hours my face neck chest and back were covered in acne. It has taken over a week of not being in the sun to clear up again. Next week I'm leaving on a cruise to the Caribbean. I'm concerned because not only is the acne ugly it can be uncomfortable.

I spoke with my doctor early last fall about this and he thought it was a skin infection. He said if it didn't clear up he would prescribe antibiotics. However, the acne cleared up as I no longer was exposed to the sun. Could this be a side effect of the meds?

Thank you, MS

Interesting. I have had a few patients develop s similar sensitivity to UV light though I have discerned a pattern regarding which regimen they are taking. Other meds such as tetracyclines or sulfa meds and even NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen) can cause a photosensitivity. There are some systemic diseases that can cause that sort of think (such as porphyria and lupus). You are under a tight time frame it sounds like so will be tough to sort out. If there was time one could try to switch your HIV meds around (such as Viramune to raltegravir or a boosted PI) to see if that helps any in the absence of more clues that some other process is involved. If any reader has any similar experiences with resolution please post! KH

Lost myErections
assumptions about side effects