Gene Therapy trial for HIV starting soon

Hi Dr Keith, please keep up the great work you do for hivers....

l live in sydney and have been hiv positive for 6 years my age now is 37 years old,

l have put my hand up for a new phase gene therapy trail starting at st vincents hospital...

The person behind the trial is Thomas Merigan MD, l have read where the first trail which started in 2004 and finshed in 2008 was safe and had good to modest results...

can you please tell more about the benefits of gene therapy ???

thank you for your time

There are numerous approaches to gene therapy for HIV infection that are in development so not possible for me to comment on the particular trial at St Vincents. No form of gene therapy for HIV infection has any proven long term safety and efficacy data. Interest is high conceptually. Current HIV therapy in resource rich areas is generally highly effective and tolerable. I would review the consent form for the gene therapy and look up any words//terms you don't understand as well as ask study personnel to go over the study in the most understandable language possible so that you have all your questions answered before making a decision about participation. The research group at St Vincents has a well deserved good reputation for quality of care and research. KH

Fever
Tingling Toes