Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mental-health effects of Truvada/Isentress combination?
Mar 15, 2009

For about four months, I've been taking a Truvada-Isentress combination - my first medication after seven years HIV+. My doctor warned me there have been no long-term studies on Isentress' effects, but I agreed to try it anyway. I seem to be experiencing wild mood swings and intense anger - an amplification of emotional issues I've always dealt with. Are there any new findings on Isentress and emotional/mental health? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Henry

There have been a few cases of depression seemingly triggered after starting raltegravir (4 cases reported from Vancouver, BC in the journal AIDS-see below for the authors comments on those cases).

Depression and other psychiatric adverse events in excess of those seen in the control arms have not been reported with raltegravir in clinical trials; however, patients with a history of such disorders may be excluded from participation. No post-marketing reports of depression appear in the product information as of May 2008. To our knowledge, these are the first cases to describe an association between starting raltegravir and exacerbation of depression. The association is compelling in terms of the temporal association and the fact that the patients started no new drugs other than raltegravir, except one who concomitantly started darunavir (which is not known to be associated with depression). Two patients had simply replaced enfuvirtide with raltegravir, a strategy that has demonstrated virological success.

Overall the rate seems quite low (< 1%) from available data. KH

Previous
HIV Meds. hampering my diabetes treatment?
Next
Kaletra & Truvada help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.