Abacavir and heart problems

I've been on Sustiva (efavirenz) and Kivexa (3TC and abacavir) for 18 months. I'm doing really well (undetectable, CD4 = 600) and have no side effects of note. I'm 5'10", 175lbs,57 yrs old, exercise, have low cholesterol and no family heart problems. I have a bit of high blood pressure which is controlled by 2mg perindopril/day.

My doctor is quite keen that I change meds to Atripla because of recent, though still perhaps inconclusive, evidence that abacavir can increase the risk of heart attacks. I'm keen to stick with the present regime because it works and doesn't cause me any obvious problems. However, I also know that there's no point in being saved from HIV only to succumb to an early heart attack.

I have enormous respect for my doctor (we're in the UK) but am interested in a second opinion on this matter.

Many thanks.

For patients at low risk for cardiovascular disease (often assessed by using the Framingham risk calculator equation) the potential increased relative risk from using abacavir versus tenofovir is quite small and of borderline clinical significance so often no need to switch off abacavir out of concern for heart diease risk based on our current knowledge. KH

Pain in my legs, feet, knees, hamstringsand the gluteus maximus?
Taking meds with food