Starting meds for the first time tomorrow

Hi Dr Keith, you are my hero and shining light living with hiv,

l am starting meds for the first time CD4 is 308 and viroal load 45,000 %19,

l told the doctor that l want a once daily med to take in the morning, he has come up with Truvada and Nevirapine to take one tablet in the first two weeks

then after two weeks to take 2 tablets nevirapine and one truvada in the morning...

Dr l know after two weeks you take one nevirapine tab in the morning and one at night, but l am out most nights,

so the doctor said its ok to take the once morning combo,

can you please give me your opinion on my once daily morning combo.....

what are the normal side effects from this combo ???

Thank you so much for your time

Frank

Though most patients do well with once daily nevirapine most studies have suggested that twice daily dosing may be slightly superior(general practice with nevirapine is that the first two weeks are once daily and then twice daily dosing). I follow some patients who were doing well on twice daily nevirapine (suppressed viral levels) who then switched to once daily chronic dosing. That regimen is generally well tolerated if one doesn't develop skin/liver problems from nevirapine (seen in first months in most cases) or mild/modest stomach complaints from the Truvada (gas,loose stools most often). Good luck! KH

Atripls
efavirenz and sperm count