AVN

Greetings- I've been diagnosed for just over a year; I was just told by my Dr. that I have AVN. Could this be caused by my anti-virals or was it the steroids I was on when I had PCP. ( I was on pregnazone for aprrox 2 months) I currenty have AVN in both hips, should I also be checking other areas of concerns via mri's to be proactive?- thank you for your time! regards- Tim

Avascular necrosis of the hip appears to be more common in HIV+ persons with use of corticosteroids, high lipid values, ? anabolic steroids, liver disease, alcohol abuse, diabetes, Cushing's disease, transplantation, high reb blood cell counts, sickle cell disease and other conditions contributing. No clear linkage to any of the newer HIV regimens has been established. Corticosteroids consistently are noted as a major risk factor in different patient populations. I have had a half dozen patients develop that condition on a variety of regimens. They have generally down well with surgery though the rehab is challenging. KH

Kaletra and Diarrhea
When to Switch Meds?