Side Effects and CD4 Count

Hey Doc,

I am wondering if side effects in Atripla decrease or increase as your cd4 counts changes or if there is any relation at all?

I am currently on Atripla. When I started i had a cd count of 20 and I had virtually zero side effects. About 6 months in my cd4 is up to 150 and VL Undetectable however some of the side effects are starting to show up that did not show before. I realize that its a bit unusual to see side effects start this late however I have read some reports of some drugs that produce more side effects for people with higher cd4 counts tho as far as I know Atripla is not on that list. While my cd4 count is not high by anyones standard I am wondering if they tend to get less as I get into the 300-400 range that I am hoping for. To be more specific the side effects I am noticing are the Sustiva side effects of an overall drunken feeling, semi fatigue and INCREDIBLY vivid dreams. I have already taken your advice on when I should take my meds in relation to eating however I must stress that these did not appear for months after starting which is whats prompting my question. The first 3 months there were no vivid dreams. Now I feel like im in a movie whenever I go to sleep. I know that I can consider a regimen change however my question here is more specific to if there is any relation to side effects and cd4 counts when dealing with Sustiva or Atripla. Thanks so much

To my knowledge there is not an association between the CD4 level and efavirenz related side effects (your symptoms do sound like they could be due to efavirenz). KH

HIV Dried blood
hiv/itchy skin