Re: Floaters

Dr. Bartlett... I just read your earlier answer regarding "floaters" and the possibility of it being a symptom of ARS. First off, I had to go look up what the heck a "floater" was, it not being that common a term, so you might want to define it for your readers. (My definition: the little translucent spots which appear to float in your field of vision.) But more importantly, this question really hit home for me, because I was infected in October of last year, and around that time I remember noticing a marked increase in floaters (though I didn't know what to call them). This was, as I recall, before I began HAART in November, so it would not have been due to the meds. I never once connected it to my recent infection. I think your UK reader may have made a very astute observation and may be onto something. I realize that my data is purely anecdotal, but maybe there's something here warranting further research?

Response from Dr. Bartlett

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I will share the description of your symptoms with my colleagues who study acute HIV infection. I am not sure why the floaters would appear, but they could be a reflection of the vigorous immune response during acute HIV infection. As you know, we are learning more about the symptoms and signs of this syndrome constantly, and your insight is very helpful.

Maximum time of the HIV antibody production?
tired of being asked whens the baby due!