Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Managing Side Effects of HIV TreatmentManaging Side Effects of HIV Treatment

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

preventive strike at lipo
Dec 31, 2008

Dear Dr. Henry.

I was wondering if I could try a little theory on you that I have been contemplating. Diagnosed a year ago and still with good labs and in pretty good shape, I figured i might treat myself to a moderate liposuction in the abdominal region (my belly is the only part of my body I am unpleased with). The HiV angle is this: might this be in thye long run a good thing IF lipodistrophy occurs as (1) increase in fat in the addominal region would then be less pronounced and (2) in the mean time, if there are less fat cells in the obs region, more fat will deposit in the limbs and face so that any fat loss there as a consequence of Lipo occurring will also be less pronounced. In other words: can a liposuction be a preventive strike at possible later lipo, both with increase of fat (abdomen) and d ecrese of fat (limbs; face)? Perhaps its silly, but the question is bugging me for quite some time now.

Kind regards and a happy new year! Thom (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)

Response from Dr. Henry

Interesting concepts. Part of the issue with abdominal fat is the actual location (can be assessesd by exam and often CT or other scan). If subcutaneous then more amendable to liposuction than intra-abdominal which is not easy to get at/remove. The most common scenario often involves some loss of subcutaneuous fat and increase intraabominal fat thus liposuction often not a useful option. To my knowledge there is no data that suggest if fat is removed from area it is re-directed to another area. Often fat continues to distribute as before so the fat problem tends to recur-if any reader knows of a study they would like to cite on the matter please do so! KH

Previous
lypodystroph
Next
Truvada & Rash

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.