preventive strike at lipo

Dear Dr. Henry.

I was wondering if I could try a little theory on you that I have been contemplating. Diagnosed a year ago and still with good labs and in pretty good shape, I figured i might treat myself to a moderate liposuction in the abdominal region (my belly is the only part of my body I am unpleased with). The HiV angle is this: might this be in thye long run a good thing IF lipodistrophy occurs as (1) increase in fat in the addominal region would then be less pronounced and (2) in the mean time, if there are less fat cells in the obs region, more fat will deposit in the limbs and face so that any fat loss there as a consequence of Lipo occurring will also be less pronounced. In other words: can a liposuction be a preventive strike at possible later lipo, both with increase of fat (abdomen) and d ecrese of fat (limbs; face)? Perhaps its silly, but the question is bugging me for quite some time now.

Kind regards and a happy new year! Thom (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)

Interesting concepts. Part of the issue with abdominal fat is the actual location (can be assessesd by exam and often CT or other scan). If subcutaneous then more amendable to liposuction than intra-abdominal which is not easy to get at/remove. The most common scenario often involves some loss of subcutaneuous fat and increase intraabominal fat thus liposuction often not a useful option. To my knowledge there is no data that suggest if fat is removed from area it is re-directed to another area. Often fat continues to distribute as before so the fat problem tends to recur-if any reader knows of a study they would like to cite on the matter please do so! KH

lypodystroph
Truvada & Rash