New HIV treatments in trial ???

Hi Dr Keith, thank you so much for your time, my cd4 count ranges between 375 and 465 and viroal load last check up was 84,000, l live in sydney australia, my doctor told me l am close to starting treatment on meds and he also told me he will start me on kivexa and nivourine once daily in the morning,

Dr Keith my doctor also mentioned there is clical trials for new meds that are coming out, and asked me if l wanted to join up....

can you please explain to me the plusses and minus of taking tried and proven meds up against maybe better but unproven meds ??? do you know of any good trils that are going on to mention to my doctor my next visit.. if l decide to do it...

thank you trevor

I have had scores of patients participate in clinical trials evaluating new drugs or regimens for HIV infection. On top of the altruism involved in helping us learn about better treatments, subjects often get free meds/careful monitoring for several years while taking either a standard of care regimen or an alternative investigation regimen that early data suggests should be equivalent. Details depends on which drug(s) are involved-your HIV specialist should be able to provide some information about drugs under study in your area. KH

Drug toxicity/'detoxifying"
Side effects Atripla vs Sustiva/Truvada