Dark spots

I started getting darkspots on my arms and then got really sick. I found out that I was HIV postive and after receiving ART (Truvada and reyataz) it dissappeared in about 2 months. I went off medication for about a year and a half and they came back on my arms and I have now started back on (Truvada and kaletra) for about 7 months but I have not seen them dissapear yet, I was sent to a dermatologist who has me using cutivate and elidel for my face and it lightened a little but not much. They thought I had lupus but after biopsy it was "post inflammatory hyperpigmentation" Do you know what this might be? My doctor who is an hiv specialist does not know what it is, that is why they sent me to the dermatologist.

This was your answer.

Dark spots as you describe are not common with your HIV regimens so tough to ascribe them to one of the drugs. Emtricitabine can occasionally cause dark pigmentation but generally in palms/soles in dark skinned individuals. KH

I'm sorry I probably explained it wrong but the dark spots came back because I was NOT taking medication. When I started the medication before they stopped but this time that I am back on meds they are not going away. I know they are here because I was not taking meds, that is why they came before. Do you know what will help make them disappear.

I haven't seen spots as you describe that were likely caused by Kaletra (the difference in your current regimen versus the earlier regimen). HIV+ patients often experience hard to explain skin problems which are hard to connect to a specific HIV drug and sometimes are related to immune improvement (can cause or aggravate imflammatory pigmentation) on a given regimen. KH

Is it possible?
pain