Dec 12, 2008
What is the differnce between HIV1 and HIV2. Is efavinez effective against HIV2? Is the experimental drug TMC278 effective against HIV2?
| Response from Dr. Henry
Efavirenz is not considered to be effective against HIV-2 due to specificity it has for binding in active pocket of HIV-1 (differenct than HIV-2 which is not a very common virus). Etrivirine and TMC-278 are newer NNRTIs thatn may have somea activity against HIV-2--I haven't seen much published from clinical studies on that question. If any reader knows of such a reference please post. KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Cold Feet After Oral Sex On A Woman What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Fever After Rubbing Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Rectal Bleeding After Licking Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling Lips After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Inverted Condom Worried I Have HIV
- Can And Std Cause Mouth Ulcers?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.