Dec 12, 2008
What is the differnce between HIV1 and HIV2. Is efavinez effective against HIV2? Is the experimental drug TMC278 effective against HIV2?
| Response from Dr. Henry
Efavirenz is not considered to be effective against HIV-2 due to specificity it has for binding in active pocket of HIV-1 (differenct than HIV-2 which is not a very common virus). Etrivirine and TMC-278 are newer NNRTIs thatn may have somea activity against HIV-2--I haven't seen much published from clinical studies on that question. If any reader knows of such a reference please post. KH
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Itchy Scrotum A Sign Of AIDS?
- Blisters After Anal Sex Top Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Blood In Urine After Receptive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Rash After Blood Splash Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Painful Urination After Insertive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Penis Discharge After Receptive Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.