Buffalo Hump update

I've been HIV+ for over 25 years and am doing fine health-wise, undetectable and CD4's in the 500 and 600's. I take Viread, Sustiva, and Reyataz (boosted with Norvir.) I also use Androgel for issues related to low testosterone.

A few years ago I developed a buffalo hump. It's not as huge as some people get, but it's pretty noticeable, and it causes me a lot of mental anguish, since I work hard to keep myself in good shape otherwise. It's gotten to the point where I won't wear t-shirts in public, because I feel like a freak. I stick to collared shirts that do a better job of hiding the hump.

I've scoured the archives, and find lots of Q&A on this subject, but most of it is at least two or three years old and I'm wondering if there is any new data to report.

I'd really like to get rid of my hump, but am not sure if I need to seriously consider surgery, or if there are some less invasive solutions that are worth trying.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Surgery is often helpful for buffalo hump as well as switching to fat friendly HIV regimen if that hasn't been done yet. Growth hormone or growth hormone releasing factor may provide some benefit though the cost can be high with side effects (growth hormone) while growth hormone releasing factor not generally available. There are no easy answers for treatment with any pills and the effect of diet/exercise on established buffalo hump is usually minimal in my experience. KH

hiv
Diabetic after 15 years of hiv poz