Switching Meds

Dr. Henry,

I need some solid advice if I may, as I am being slowly driven insane by the lack of support in my treatment with some issues I am having...

I started medication 3 years ago (combivir & sustiva) and since then development stomach issues (constant nausia on a morning, cramps and niggles) as well as IBS symptoms with needing the toilet (its always bad on a morning)

I have mentioned this again and again to my doctors and they keep saying its more likely IBS than my meds - I am based in the UK and now get the feeling I am fobbed off as they either dont want to switch me due to cost or that they are scared to do so...

I have had numerous tests such as ultrasounds, blood tests for ulcers, intollerance to food types, had a endoscopy and gastroscopy and ALL have come back fine with NOTHING to say whats causing my issues...

I am now to the point where everyday i feel like crap, my stomach plays up, i feel sick all the time, i wake up on a morning feeling really sickly, and just generally worn out with it all - is there evidence this is my meds and where can i find it so i can take such to my doctor - i heard atripla is the best treatment and a change maybe possible, however i dont want to end up with more symptoms/problems with that regime than my current!

Apart from my gut/bowel issues my stats are fine, CD4 is above 500 and viral load undetectable!

I have another appointment with the doctor who did my recent gastroscopy as they want to try and find the cause, but want info so i can sort myself out and just live a normal, trouble free life without all this symptoms!

Some patients have persistent stomach complaints from the AZT in Combivir so it is reasonable to consider in cases like yours a change to either tenfovir (usually with FTC in combination pill=Truvada) or abacavir(if HLA B5701 negative and usually taken with 3TC= Epzicom). If you switch the Combivir to Truvada and experience improvement in GI symptoms then a switch of efavirenz + Truvada to the 3-in-1 pill Atripla is often done. KH

sustiva and cafergot
1 Pill Treatments