re: too much "gaz"

Just a couple of ideas/ suggestions to the guy with the gas problem. When I started on Viread (when it first came out -- like within weeks of marketing).. I had a tremendous increase in GI gas. (I have "gut" problems any way. --irratable bowel, etc., and a lot of antivirals have caused so many GI problems that I have had to stop those particular meds.) I remember being at an HIV "seminar" at IU in Indianapolis at that time. ( open to patients) There was a drug rep there from Gilead. I asked about the gas problem. He had heard of a couple other cases at that time. I don't know if any post marketing studies show this as a side effect.

Also... I had added problems from gallbladder disfunction a few years ago. Developed severe "D" even before surgery. (started on chloystyramine), and my family doctor also had me stop dairy and switch to soy milk. I avoided all dairy as much as I could, but eliminated milk entirely, and have used soy milk ever since. THAT helped a lot of the gas and D. Silk Soy brand even makes a "soy yogurt" with active cultures. ( and and ice cream) I recommend the soy products over dairy for any one with GI problems esp "Big D" and gas. Also MUCH better ( I think) than whey protein powder for any one with GI problems. ( I used soy powder from General GNC when I had lost so much weight.. NO GAS, NO "D".. and excellent source of protein.-- Made shakes with it and some fruit and water / soy milk ! mmmmm Good smoothies ! --- A LOT better than Ensure on the sensitive gut... in my opinion.--Ensure has milk protein and a lot of corn syrup. ) Just a couple of tips from a "pozzie of 14++ yrs. that you might suggest / give a try with some patients.

Tim in Marion, Indiana

Thanks-very useful. Appreciate you sharing your experience on the matter of tenofovir related "gas". KH

Did I start to ART late?
Am i doing good with ARV meds?